How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10778
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

What have I got to do, If as a landlord I have failed to

This answer was rated:

What have I got to do, If as a landlord I have failed to adhere to tenancy protection scheme obligation. Can I still apply for the scheme even if the tenant has paid deposit since about 2 years ago? How could I evict the tenant if he is in arrears of £1700. Deposit is £900

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
Despite being late, you should now register the Deposit with an approved Scheme.
Provided you protect the deposit, albeit late, before your Tenant issues any legal proceedings, then they cannot claim the statutory three times the deposit as compensation (if indeed the Tenant is aware of the law surrounding deposits).
So, please get it registered asap and then hopefully all will be well.
I hope this assists you and answers your question.
Kind Regards
Aston Lawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

But the tenant had been in rent arrears of £4100 now reduced to £1700 after payment of £3400 by the council on her behalf