How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 818
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

a new development adjacent to our land containing 5 properties

This answer was rated:

a new development adjacent to our land containing 5 properties has been built. The developer raised the height of the land and hence the new properties gardens by 2 to 3 feet. This has caused significant ingress of rainwater from the new development into my garden to the extent that our land which was once dry is like liquid mud. The local authority sys there is nothing which can be done bevause the new properties have been signed off. is this correct?
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello, I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to answer your question.

LondonlawyerJ :

This is not necessarily the case. If the reason fro the run off is the fault off the developer/occupier then you may well be able to claim compensation or get alterations carried out to the neighbouring land to end the problem. Raising land will obviously lead to alterations in where and how water runs off. It may be that insufficient account was taken of his risk when the work was carried out.

LondonlawyerJ :

When was the work carried out and have the new properties been sold? Do you know how to contact the developers? Your first step will be to contact the developer and/or occupiers to let them know about the problem and inviting them to investigate.

LondonlawyerJ and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you