How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7660
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I have just finished paying-off my mortgage, and have been

Customer Question

I have just finished paying-off my mortgage, and have been given the deeds. The property was formerly a council house, do I have to register the property with Land Registry.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
No, if you have purchased the property a long time ago and obtained a mortgage on it then the property will already be registered under it’s own title number at the land registry.
However, if you have finished paying off your mortgage then it’s best practice to check that the lender has removed their registered charge from your property’s registered title.
I would download a copy of your property’s register from the LR website:!ut/p/b1/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0C7IdFQG9k5Tz/
Look on at Part C Charges register which is the last part of the document. If there is a charge registered in favour of your lender then this means that they have not removed it. If this is the case then you should call your lender and ask them to remove the charge electronically from the title. They will do this and then you can check again to confirm it has been removed.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Is there any further information you require?
I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided.
Kind regards,