How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7664
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

How can I check that I have paid my Legal Aid off. I cant find

This answer was rated:

How can I check that I have paid my Legal Aid off. I cant find any paper work. I am sure this was paid approx 10 years ago when I remortgaged my house.
Thanks for your question.
Was your legal aid bill secured against your property in the form of a charge or charging order?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Drafting your answer now. 5 mins please.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
First you need to download a copy of the registered title for your property from the land registry for a small fee:-!ut/p/b1/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0C7IdFQG9k5Tz/
If the charging order or charge is still registered on the legal title for your property then it will be at the end of the register in the section titled “Section C: Charges Register”.
In this section if you have a mortgage then the lender’s charge will be registered in form of a restriction.
If there is a charge for yoru legal aid monies then it will also be registered here in the form of a restriction and will refer to monies owed to the “Legal Services Commission”. If there is no restriction then there is no longer any legal aid monies secured against your property.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you