How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 71130
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

Myself and my partner are separated and she lives in a privately

This answer was rated:

Myself and my partner are separated and she lives in a privately rent house which is paid for by housing benefits though with myself as the guarantor for the rent. Recently I had to make up the difference in rent which I paid to my ex-partners landlord.
My ex partner has issues with her neighbours harrasing her and often looking into her business. He recently told my partner that he knew that she was a 1000 in debt to the landlord and I had to pay it. He was told this information by the landlord. As this is confidential information between me and the landlord as she broken any agreement or done anything legally wrong by passing this information onto the neighbour
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
I am sorry that this is probably bad news but I am afraid this is not actionable.
Clearly this is a breach of confidentiality on the part of the landlady and that is not particularly admirable conduct. However, you do not have a legal right in this particular contract to demand confidentiality.
Even if you could argue that Data Protection Act applied, a landlord is not a data controller within the meaning of that legislation. She is just a contractual partner like any other.
You could always complain about it. The landlord doesn't know that she has done nothing unlawful probably. There isn't a claim against her though.
Sorry if that is bad news.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Remus2004 and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you