How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 35063
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have lived in the same house for over 13 years with my family.

This answer was rated:

I have lived in the same house for over 13 years with my family. The house belonged to my Step-father (died over 6 years ago) and my Mother who passed away earlier this year! The house has been left to myself and my brother in 60/40 shares I was already gifted 35% of the house last year. I live here with my husband and 9 year old daughter. Can my brother force me to sell in order for him to receive his 40% of the property? I am not in a position to buy him out or take out a mortgage! Please advise
Thank you for your question
My name is Clare
I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
May I ask why you and your husband cannot raise a mortgage
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not work and my husband is self employed, we would not be able to raise the amount needed and my husband would hate to have a mortgage start in our mid forties
How much is the property worth?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When valued for probate it was valued at £975,000 by a surveyor
Then I am sorry but yes if you are not able to buy out his share of the property your brother will indeed be able to apply to the court for an Order for sale to release his equity - and the Order will be granted.
I am sorry to give such bad news - but I have to be honest about the situation that you face
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So this is the case even though we have lived in the house for many years and we have a child of 9 in the property?
Yes I am afraid so
The fact that there is a child would only have been relevant if there was insufficient equity to rehouse you - and even then it would probably not have helped since the child is not his responsibility in any way
Clare and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you