How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I have an easement over adjoining land for access, though I

This answer was rated:

I have an easement over adjoining land for access, though I can get in and out of my land without using it. Previously I had an informal arrangement with the owner, not a written agreement that I could erect a gate across the easement fro security. The gates are my property and no contribution was made by the landowner to the cost. Circumstances have changed and the property being sold. I now wish to remove my gate and fittings. Do I need their permission to do this? my assumption is that I have a right to remove my property, I need no additional rights of access as I have a right of way already.

No, you do not need their permission to remove your gate and fittings as you were permitted, although informally, to erect the gates.

However, as a matter of courtesy, you may notify them that you will be removing your gates and fittings as you no longer need additional access rights.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. There is an element of digging required to remove posts etc. Does this affect anything? provided I make good and leave everything in good order.

Yes, that is fine but more so the reason you should at least notify them what you will be doing.

All the best
UKSolicitorJA and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you