How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 818
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

I am a landlady living in my property and I am renting a room

Customer Question

I am a landlady living in my property and I am renting a room to a lodger I am having massive issue with my lodger regarding the protection of the deposit Which I did not protect sadly I have noticed that I have signed the wrong contract and realise we signed a tenancy contract please can you tell me my right and what I can do now many thanks
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer your question

LondonlawyerJ :

OK are yo happy for her to leave early? I expect that you are in the circumstances. I think that although if she is a tenant you are required to protect her deposit, and she could seek compensation for your not doing so, it is unlikely that her claim would be successful. These sorts of claims are much leas successful now that they have been in the past. If you just return her deposit to her when she leaves it is unlikely that she will be able to successfully obtain further money from you.