How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have been maintaining a piece of garden for 18 years can

This answer was rated:

I have been maintaining a piece of garden for 18 years can I now claim ownership
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

The process is not quite that simple.

Alex Watts :

You need to show you have excluded all others from the land and maintained it for 10 years or over.

Alex Watts :

Once you have done this you can apply to the land registry for posession

Alex Watts :

The land registry will notify the owner of your application. If they fail to lodge an objection it will be transferred to you

Alex Watts :

If the owner does object then your application will fail

Alex Watts :

For more information please see:

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: By excluding do you mean by a fence or some other physical barrier
Alex Watts :

Yes, you need to exclude others from coming onto that land somehow

Customer: Ok thanks that answers my question
Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Customer: No that's all
Alex Watts :

Can I help you with anything else today?

Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you