How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10772
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I am the legal 50% owner of a property registered at the land

This answer was rated:

I am the legal 50% owner of a property registered at the land registry. I now have difficult relationships with the other co-owner.(we are father and son). Can my share be taken from me, even if my father should die?

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Do you own if you both own the property as Joint tenants or tenants in common?

Kind Regards


Customer: replied 3 years ago.
For Aston Lawyer.
Tenants in common in equal shares.

Thanks Martin.

Well, as you hold the property as Tenants in common, your 50% share is 100% safe- your name is ***** ***** on the Deeds, and whenever anything happens to either of you, your respective 50% share will pass to whoever you have nominated as a beneficiary under your Will.

In the meantime, you both remain legal owners and neither of you can "steal" or trasfer the other's 50% share unless done so by committing fraud!

I hope this assists and answers your question.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you