How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wingrovebuyer Your Own Question
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 737
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
wingrovebuyer is online now

We live in a detached house, the wall of our house forms the

This answer was rated:

We live in a detached house, the wall of our house forms the boundary line. Our neighbour has built a car port, the wall of which sits on their side of the boundary but parts of the roof and the drainage are attached to our house. He didn't ask for permission but we haven't raised it with him either. It's been erected for about three months now. we are selling our house and our buyer is asking questions about permissions etc...... Where do we stand legally?
Sarah Vinall
wingrovebuyer : Hello. As it is highly unlikely that the wall will be a party wall, or that your neighbour will have an existing right to attach things to it, then this is an unlawful action by your neighbour and potentially constitutes a trespass and maybe even criminal damage (ie to the wall itself). However, if you are selling, the last thing you need is a neighbour dispute. So, you have two options. One - tell the neighbour to remove the car port fixings from your
wingrovebuyer : Wall, or two - give him permission, so there is no dispute. Perhaps check with e buyer first what they'd prefer? Regards, David
wingrovebuyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you