How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wingrovebuyer Your Own Question
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 737
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
wingrovebuyer is online now

The house we own fronts on to a main road, but at the back

This answer was rated:

The house we own fronts on to a main road, but at the back it used to be farmland before the estate was built. Our plans show that the road at the back of the house is split half on our plans and half on the property owner opposite. The council have now marked a spot outside the back roughly about the middle of the fencing at the back on my side for a street light. I have had no notification and wonder what my rigts are on the matter. It may cause problems in future as it is directly were the post is cemented in for the fencing.
wingrovebuyer : Hello. Do you know if the back lane is adopted highway?

I'm not sure there are streetlights on it but I have never seen the council working on it. IThe road is also not in good condition.

wingrovebuyer : Do you mind giving me your postcode and I will try to check. WB

OL16 2SW Number 4


It is the road classed as Smithybridge road


The back we are refering to is South View Terrace


It is the shared back with Calliards


We are classed as South View terrace ie what everybody uses as the bak is the actual address.

wingrovebuyer : Thanks. Whilst I haven't been able to confirm this definitively, South View Terrace does appear to be a public highway. This means that although a section of it may be on your deeds, the land is subject to public rights and subject to the local authority's rights to maintain a carriageway and, indeed, to install street lighting. My suggestion is that you contact the highways department of your local council and simply ask them to reconsider the position of the light. You could point out that it will cause a nuisance to your property with too much light coming in at night. They may agree to change the location, as your request is perfectly reasonable, but you msg do it before they install the new light. I am afraid you can't use your ownership of the land to stop it, because the land is subject to these highway rights. The highways de
wingrovebuyer : Department could also confirm that the lane is public highway. Of course, if it isn't, tell them it is your land and you do not consent to the light going on it. Best, WB
wingrovebuyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you