How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am getting very tired of my landlord and agency, 1/ they

Customer Question

I am getting very tired of my landlord and agency,
1/ they ahve consitently not provided a copy of the inventory which I have no record of at all and therefore I had no chance to make any amendments in the first month, I also fear they may have altered it.
My landlady has refused to do most maintainance and last week after 9 months of me asking for a leaking popup plug to be fixed after they agreed the plug was leakey and the landlady consistently refused to pay for it to be fixed they sent a plumber round who replaced it but they now claim it was replaced because it was blocked by hair ...???? So I have to pay.... I mean replace a whole bath pop up plug and sump / drain due to hair ? surely one just unblocks a plug hole / drain not replace it...?
I am so sick of them I know they are building a case to keep as much deposit as possible I really want to take them to court as they simply lie, procrastinate and this is the last straw....
I had to replace the landlady's 15 year old washer drier as she wanted me to prove my clothes were being shrunk by I suspose shrinking some clothes.... I bought a new one for £900 which is fine, the landlady wants mine even though hers was worth around £50 or less possibly....
I had to replace all the window seals as they were so workn they let drafts in and I also had to clean the carpets twice.... they were so filthy...
What on earth do I do.
It's not the money it's the principle, I am quite happy to take out a small claim immediately for all of this, the washer drier I bought I am happy to have bought, its the issue that the landlady now considers it's hers taht upsets me...
The plug hole thing is the final straw as it so obviously is a ruse to get me to pay....
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: