How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Dear sir/ madam I am a council tenant for last 18 years.

This answer was rated:

Dear sir/ madam
I am a council tenant for last 18 years. I have an open driveway. I have asked council several times to give me boundaries so that I can put the fence. My neighbour says he owns more land on the driveway but he drives on my land to get his car to park in back garden.He also says I can not use the driveway at anytime. With my disability I have to drive the car on the driveway to unload my shopping.
I have parking my car on the kerb as there is no dropped kerb and things are difficult for me as I live in a grove and most of the time my parking is taken by my neighbours.
My neighbour claims they own more land but their house is leasehold.
My question is can I claim more land from the council as I feel it is not fair why they have given more land to them.Please also note that they live the property since last seven years.
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : When you say more land, which extra land do you want to claim?
Alex Watts : If you are a tenant you won't own the land anyway would you?
Customer: I mean the neighbour has been given more land on the driveway then me. What I am trying to say is why we both have a council house. Although I have not bought the house I am thinking of buying it soon. Why the council is delaying in giving me the boundaries as we'll.
Alex Watts :

Yes does the Council own his house?

Customer: No he bought the house seven years back
Alex Watts :

And do you wish the Council just to give you the land?

Customer: No I do not wish the council to give me the land but even I my neighbour who has bought the houe is leasehold so he does no own the land he only owns the house so why I have not have the same right to use the driveway
Alex Watts :

But who owns the drive?

Customer: Who owns the drive.? That is my question as we'll?
Alex Watts :

Ok - only the Council or Land Registry can tell you this, I can't sadly.

Alex Watts :

But you need to write to the Council and ask for clarification on the position within 14 days.

Alex Watts :

If you do not get a satisfactorily response, then you should write to the Chief Officer of the Council. That department will investigate the actions of the Council and report back to you.

Alex Watts :

If you are not happy with that response then you can complain to the Ombudsman. They are free, independent and can examine your complaint for free. Their website is located at:

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: Do I need permission to put the fence from the council. They are using my land to step in and out of the car. Do I need the permission to lower the kerb in my front garden to have access to park my car in the front garden.?
Alex Watts :

You need to check your tenancy agreement, it may say you need permission.

Alex Watts :

You need the Councils permission to lower the kerb yes,

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Customer: Yes it does but still if I have any query I wii come back to you
Customer: Yes it does but still if I have any more query I wii come back to you
Customer: thankyoy
Alex Watts :

Of course. You can ask for me personally.

Alex Watts :

Can I help with anything else today?

Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you