How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Hi I have reccently moved put of a flat that I have rented

This answer was rated:

I have reccently moved put of a flat that I have rented for 6 years. Firstly it was through an
estate agent and then the landlord cut the agent out and I was renting directy with the landlord for 3 years. We never signed a tenancy agreement and everything was arranged over email.
The rent has not been delayed by even one day in the 6 years.
I moved out on 25th November and gave him 2 months notice (on email) as agreed and also got the flat professionaly cleaned at a cost of 340GBP (invoice available).
He is holding my 2000GBP security deposit in his own account and has only returned 1500GBP, sighting reasons that are not valid. I beleive that the landlord needs to take into account 'wear and tear' over 6 years.
Also I beleive that If there is no tenancy agreement therefore, then there is no authority for the landlord to make any deductions from the tenancy deposit – no matter how dreadful the condition of the property when the tenant moves out.
Also I guess he has broken the law by keeping the deposit in his own account.
Could you please advise, ALL discussions regarding deposit, tenancy are availble on email.
Many Thanks
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
Alex Watts : If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
Alex Watts : The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
Alex Watts : If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.
Alex Watts : Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:


Thank you very much for your response.

Alex Watts :

If I could ask you to rate my answer please so I am credited for my time - thanks

Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you