How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask tdlawyer Your Own Question
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1096
Experience:  Lawyer with 9 years experience of advising on property issues.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
tdlawyer is online now

I have recently been awarded costs against me to pay the other

Customer Question

I have recently been awarded costs against me to pay the other party by the judge. The amount is £12,000 . I have no savings or money to my name but own a property in joint names with my father. I am receiving benefits due to being on low income and have 5 dependant children under the age of 16.
How and what methods can the winning party use to collect their costs?
The damages were awarded due to some cracks that appeared in the neighbouring property wall as I was having building work done.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.
Customer: Hello. Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this.
Customer: The other side can attempt to obtain an order that your property be sold. They would do this firstly by applying for a charging order over your beneficial interest in the property.
Customer: They would do this for the amount of the outstanding judgement in their favour.
Customer: Therefore, if you own property on a 50:50 basis with your father, then your share of the equity could ultimately Be sought by them applying for an order as mentioned.
Customer: Additionally, they could attempt to make you bankrupt.
Customer: It is doubtful they would try any other method, if you have no other assets and are on benefits. If you do have assets, such as your own car, caravan or something like that, then they could attempt to recover money by selling your assets through a bailiff.