How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 822
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

, I and my partner currently have a joint mortgage.

This answer was rated:

I and my partner currently have a joint mortgage. We are looking to switch to a new mortgage and, as our financial situation is very different from when we took out the first mortgage, we are looking to do a transfer of equity - essentially taking out the new mortgage in my name only.
We are not splitting up / divorcing etc - we are merely looking to take out the new mortgage in my name.
An adviser at the bank stated that if we did this my partner would no longer be able to live at the same address. This sounds like nonsense to me, could you please clarify?
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.


Thank you.

LondonlawyerJ :

I take it you will remain joint proprietors of the property. The adviser was indeed talking nonsense,


yes, that is the case. Thank you.

LondonlawyerJ and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you