How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Last year I found a property to buy and develop. I had

This answer was rated:

Last year I found a property to buy and develop. I had an investor lined up to buy it and give me a finders fee, £25k, although this meant I was not involved in the project.
At the last minute I found another investor (Bob) that would allow me potentially to be involved in the project and therefore moved the other investor onto another project kept both investors happy.
There was no contract but emails where exchanged with a spreadsheet showing the finders fee, plenty of email exchange. Bob eventually bought the property. Before completion I mentioned when he was going to pay the fee and he said he wouldn't but would take care of me next time. I wasn't happy but at least I was involved in the project.
Six months later I found Bob another project, this time with a bigger fee, and plenty of emails this time pointing out the fee. I was knocked down and down and down again but eventually blackmailed in taking a lower fee.
321 once he exchanged he said he wouldn't pay my fee and didn't want me involved in either project.
Do I have a case to get my fees considering there was no contract just emails?
Thank you
Alex Watts :

my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Yes contracts can be oral, written on paper or email

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation .

Can I clarify anything about this today please?


Apologies late reply.


Thank you reply but I really wanted to know, from a solicitors point of view, whether I had a very good chance of winning as I can't really afford to loose.

Alex Watts :

Yes you have a chance of willing, but remember no-one can give you a 100% guarantee.

Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you