How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 34887
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

We have been asking our neighbour

Customer Question

We have been asking our neighbour months to replace fence panels between our two gardens which have been damaged as a result of their conservatory guttering falling on them Just over a week ago one of the damaged panels blew down into our garden and we put it back on the ground on their garden and asked them to do something urgently Nothing has been done and when my husband asked today what was happening he was told we were harassing them and action may be taken so what are we entitled to do also there are weeds growing ontheir side in the roof guttering which runs the length of both properties and we offered to ask our gardener if he would clear it if they paid time job as we were concerned about it getting blocked and causing damp to both properties but there seems to be no action being taken by them which increases our concern own property
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.

Thank you question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Have you considered replacing the panels yourself?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, the reason being some years ago I was sure that fence was mine and used to replace damaged panals at that time and even replaced the wooden posts with concrete posts. Then I found out from the deeds of my house my fence was on the right of the back garden and so I repair that side only. I have tried to offer help to reduce the cost when my gardener said he would do the job .along with the cleaning out the guttering. When we told the neighbours this she said she was having the garden landscaped in the summer, this has not happend. Now we have a hole in the fence due to the lost panel, also the others need replacing as well. I should say that me repairing the wrong fence was some years since, before our present neighbours came. My main concern is that because we have semi detached property, how do I stand if they do not look after their house, regarding the safety of my house, caused by their neglect.
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.

I am afraid that you cannot force them to repair the fence - you are simply free to do so.
With regar dto the guttering - unfortunately until the blockage does cause damage to your property there is nothing that you can do.
When it actually does then you can claim compensation cost of putting it right
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Clare, I know now where I stand. Would you please confirm that I do not owe any payment because I asked free weeks trial. Thanks once again
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.

That is something site admin would deal with so I shall refer it to them!
I hope all goes well