How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7664
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

If my daughters partner moves into her apartment and starts

This answer was rated:

If my daughters partner moves into her apartment and starts helping with bills etc does this mean he is entitled to a share of the property if it is sold?
Thanks for your question.
1. Are there any children of the relationship
2. Are they married
3. Will he contribute more in rent/mortgage repayments than he otherwise would have paid if she was living in her own private rented accommodation?
4. Will he make capital repayments to pay off significant sums of the mortgage?
5. Will he pay for/carry out significant improvements to the property which improve the value of the property?
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Tom,

Answers below:

1.No children

2.Not married

3.My daughter owns her flat outright so has no mortgage

4.As above is very new so unlikely to need significant improvements.


Hi John
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
The position is that where a person is not named on the registered title to a property then you can generally only claim an interest in the property if you have made either a capital contribution to it (ie. financing the purchase or pay for significant works which materially increase the value of the property) or have maintained the mortgage payments/paid rent or bills/food to a total that is more than you would otherwise have paid in private rented accommodation in the area.
Provided he does not contribute more money in payment for food than he would have otherwise paid in private rented accommodation for rent/bills/food and does not make improvements to the property which increases it’s market value then he would not be advised to make a claim against your property.
On this basis he would not be able to claim against the property
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Tom,

Thanks.Very clear.One follow up point.If they had a child together would that change the partners legal position as regards ***** *****?


Hi John,
It might, but only if he was to have residence (ie custody) of the child. If she has residence and he simply has contact then the position would remain as-is.
Kind regards
Thomas and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you