How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 71129
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

As a tenant what are my rights if the landlord wants to sell

This answer was rated:

As a tenant what are my rights if the landlord wants to sell the property? Can he show prospective buyers round and do I have to move out?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
It depends on the type of agreement.
However, if you are on an AST then he can bring that to an end by serving a S21 notice upon you but not before the end of the agreement. Thereafter though he can evict you by court order if necessary I'm afraid.
He is entitled to 'reasonable access' which does involve showing buyers around in the last few months of the agreement. He does need to give you notice of no less than 48 hours by received means though and it should be by mutual convenience.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks Jo

There isnt a written rental agreement in being....

what effect does that have?

The worst it would mean is that it is a periodic tenancy agreement which would still need a S21 notice to bring it to an end giving you two months notice.
He cannot just ask you to leave at the end of the week.
Remus2004 and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you