How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 3839
Experience:  Two years conveyancing experience.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I split with my girlfriend in Cyprus and moved back to UK as

Customer Question

I split with my girlfriend in Cyprus and moved back to UK as did she after it but all my belongings went to her in 1 shipment with her stuff , she singed the paperwork but I paid shipping etc , almost 1 year and she not give me back anything , can I get her charged with theft of my belongings worth thousands of pounds
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
I am afraid it is very unlikely the police will pursue this as a case of theft. You can try making a complaint but they will likely say it is a civil matter as soon as they find out she is your ex girlfriend.
I would suggest the following:
- Send here a letter from a solicitor demanding return of the goods - if she sees a complaint on headed paper from a solicitor she will likely treat this as a serious matter and will at least start responding to you;
- I would then try and calculate the value of all your goods (plus £500 she has taken) - and send a written record of what you want returned;
- If she still does not respond or return the goods and you know her address - sue her - - you can start a money claim online here.
If you receive a Judgment you can then look to enforce it by sending bailiffs to her property.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards