How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7663
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

How would my mother go about transferring the title deeds for

This answer was rated:

How would my mother go about transferring the title deeds house in to my name?
Thanks question.
Is there a mortgage on the property?
Is there a reason behind the proposed transfer?
Does your mother live in the property?
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is no mortgage on the property, this was paid about 8 years ago. My mother would rather transfer responsibility property now rather than in her will. We both live in the property, she only has a pension to live on so I pay bills and insurance.

Thank you question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
I assume you would transfer this to you consideration (ie. No money) and, if so, transferring the house in to your name will not be that difficult and you will be able to do it yourself provided you are prepared to spend some (not much) time on it.
You will have to draft a Transfer (form TR1) from you to your daughter (which you will both have to sign as a deed (ie. witnessed) and you can download the template form from the land registry's website. You will have to submit this to the land registry with their form AP1, this is also downloadable from the website
by selecting from the "Forms" tab:-
You will probably have some questions on completing the form but the land registry's customer support service are very helpful to lay persons. A fee will be required and you can also ask them about that. In addition you will both have to execute a land registry ID1 form with a local solicitor £10 per form.
However, if your mother continues to live in the property then it will be included in her estate tax purposes as she would be retaining a benefit from the house.
Additionally, courts/creditors/local authorities have wide powers to attempt to set aside a transaction that is done with a view to avoiding creditors. So, if it is likely that your mother may need care then a court could set this aside (ie reverse the transaction).
Alternatively, a solicitor would do it £250 + VAT
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you