How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We have had to move commercial premises due to our solicitor

Customer Question

We have had to move commercial premises due to our solicitor not applying to court in time new lease .They have admitted that they were in the wrong and have offered us £10,000 in compensation .The only thing is it has cost us £30,000 plus .Should we go back to them and ask or should we employ another solicitor which will cost us more .
Hilary Dean
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
Alex Watts :

Hilary my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

please let me know whether you can quantify your loss?

JACUSTOMER-2ptx4f9n- :

The losses are on going as we are having to rebuild our business ,we are having to work hours which are not profit making .We have had electricians in to rewire the new premises machines ,we have spent £3100 with them up to now and we have a lot more to go .they say it will come to about 10000.With labour and machine movers,fuel cost hire of vans it can be seen but we have not finished yet so we haven't all of the expenses in yet .The compensation they are offering is 10,000 but this includes the 3,000 to 4,000 their fees and vat ,which really doesn't leave much to cover costs .,

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation . Over £10,000 then you will need representation at trial because there are Court procedures and rules to follow. If you lose you would be liable costs of the other side

Can I clarify anything about this today please?

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish help: