How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7672
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I have just rented out a property and the new tenant has given

This answer was rated:

I have just rented out a property and the new tenant has given me a deposit. I believe I have to put it in a special bank account. Can you advise me on how to go about this. He has also paid a months rent in advance.

Thank you question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
If you have rented your property under a fixed term residential tenancy (ie. an assured shorthold tenancy) then you will have to protect the deposit.
This means that you must place it in a Tenancy Deposit Protection scheme. Details on the available schemes are contained on the following page:-
It’s quite straightforward once you have picked the scheme you will adopt in order to protect the tenant’s deposit.
There is also specific information that you must give your tenant, which you will see is outlined on one of the link contained on the above page
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you