How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10736
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

have paid a deposit new house on the contract the build

This answer was rated:

have paid a deposit new house on the contract the build will pay the stamp now they have changed there mind can they do this

and thanks Just Answer.

I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Could you please clarify whether you have exchanged Contracts (and therefore paid your 10% deposit) or have you just paid the reservation fee to reserve the Plot?

If you have exchanged Contracts, was there any mention in the Contract that the Developer would pay your Stamp Duty?

I look forward to hearing from you.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.
AL it the reservation contrack but it's listed on there the price also what they will do
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
al can u help


Sorry delay.

If it is only the reservation fee you have paid, I am afraid this is not a legally binding Contract, committing the Developer to pay your Stamp Duty, I'm afraid. Only once Contracts are exchanged and a suitable provision is put in the Contract stating the Developer will pay your Stamp Duty, is it legally binding.

I must it is pretty disgusting of the Developer to go back on their word and isn't something I would expect from any National housebuilder. I certainly would do a letter of complaint to them!

What is the Purchase price- I'm sure you are aware of the recent Stamp Duty changes, but I can confirm the amount if you want me to.

Kind Regards


Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Al help I will send them a letter

Good luck Paul.

If you are happy with my Answer, I would be grateful if you could

leave positive feedback.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you