How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

UK Lawyer only please.I rent a house with 4 bedrooms to

This answer was rated:

UK Lawyer only please.
I rent a house with 4 bedrooms to 4 individuals on separate assured shorthold tenancy agreements.
Should they be on one agreement and if so what is the procedure to change the agreement to a joint one in terms of giving notice.
I recently approached the council regarding HMO status (which i don't have) and requested exemption as the property is for sale.
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : i assume they do not know each other and not part of one family please?
JACUSTOMER-rk34q6a4- :

Hi, Yes that's correct

JACUSTOMER-rk34q6a4- :

That was quick

JACUSTOMER-rk34q6a4- :

Youve left me in the lurch

Alex Watts : Ok. Are all the tenants in the fixed period or periodc tenancy please?
Alex Watts : It shows me offline if I click onto another screen for some reason but I am online
JACUSTOMER-rk34q6a4- :

O.k it left me not knowing if you'd gone home

JACUSTOMER-rk34q6a4- :

Their agreements have now all lapsed

Alex Watts : Ok. Then you do not need to worry. They are all on periodc tenancies and this means they can be terminated with two months notice
JACUSTOMER-rk34q6a4- :

Can I start a new joint contract now and if so what are the advantages

Alex Watts : As you see selling the property its probably wise not to re sign them on a single new tenancy as that would have to be for 6 months
Alex Watts : I think you are better off as it is.
Alex Watts : Then you only need to give two months
Alex Watts : However you should tell them you are trying to sell it so they can at least look for other places to live
JACUSTOMER-rk34q6a4- :

Any problems with letting a vacant room. As the market is very quiet and likely not to sell.

Alex Watts : No. You can do a short let which can be for weeks or months.
Alex Watts : But an AST has to be for 6 month minimum
Alex Watts : So I would not sign anything new at this stage
Alex Watts : If they leave and you take a new tenant sign for s short let, not AST
JACUSTOMER-rk34q6a4- :

I have only see the Assured Short Hold tenancy Agreement

JACUSTOMER-rk34q6a4- :

Seen sorry not see

Alex Watts : Yes you can get a short let.
Alex Watts : You may be able to purchase this online
Alex Watts : but it's not an AST
JACUSTOMER-rk34q6a4- :

Do I have the same protection

Alex Watts : Yes you do but the tenants don't have many righrs
Alex Watts : rights
JACUSTOMER-rk34q6a4- :

Should I have HMO status for letting 4 rooms to 4 individuals

JACUSTOMER-rk34q6a4- :

There is a second floor loft but it is always locked

Alex Watts : Yes the threshold is 3 rooms to different people
JACUSTOMER-rk34q6a4- :

Is that 3 Rooms to 3 people or could it be 4

Alex Watts : 3 different families
Alex Watts : so if it's one family but 3 rooms its ok
JACUSTOMER-rk34q6a4- :

So two couple and one individuals would be oK

Alex Watts : No. As that is 3 families
Alex Watts : one couple and one individual is ok
JACUSTOMER-rk34q6a4- :

My son at university has a contract for the 5 students which says 'living as one family' is that common practice and is it oK

Alex Watts : generally no, because its 3 families
Alex Watts : Defined as
Alex Watts : at least 3 tenants live there, forming more than 1 household, you share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities with other tenants
JACUSTOMER-rk34q6a4- :

Is there discretion according to the council

Alex Watts : A household is either a single person or members of the same family who live together. A family includes people who are:
Alex Watts : married or living together - including people in same-sex relationships, relatives or half-relatives, eg grandparents, aunts, uncles, siblings, step-parents and step-children
Alex Watts : Some councils may have different policies so it's always good to check
JACUSTOMER-rk34q6a4- :

I have applied for exemption from a HMO license to the borough council because of the sale. It is granted am I safe from prosectution whilst the term of exemption exists.

Alex Watts : Yes
JACUSTOMER-rk34q6a4- :

Thank you Alex.

Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you