How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 12092
Experience:  30 years experience in property law.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My estranged husband and I were joint landlords on a property

This answer was rated:

My estranged husband and I were joint landlords on a property in his name but I have a legal charge on the property. Now we are separated he thinks all the rent should be his and I am of the opinion I am entitled to half as my name is ***** ***** agreement.
Can you tell me why he thinks this way? I think he is wrong and that is likely to be my advice but any further information from you would be helpful.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The tenancy agreement was in joint names. He now lives in the property with his new girlfriend


Can you answer my earlier question and also the following, namely, there appears to be no tenant any more if he is living there, so is there any rent to be derived from the property?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the tenancy agreement ended a while ago, then he moved into the property. All I want to know is, as joint landlord, if I am entitled to 50% of the rent received as he believes it should all be his.

Yes you are entitled to a half share, in the absence of a reason why he should get all the rent.
JGM and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you