How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10772
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

Under Tenancy in Common agreement I own 50% of my home and

This answer was rated:

Under Tenancy in Common agreement I own 50% of my home and my two children own
50% between them.
1. Can I live in my home for as long as I want to.
2, Can I sell my 50% to someone and could the buyer move in.
3. Can any party force a sale or prevent a sale

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

1. Yes, as a legal owner, you are entitled to live in the property as long as you wish.

2. You are entitled to sell your 50%. In practical terms, whether any non family member would be willing to buy, bearing in mind it will only be a 50% share, is another question.

3. As Tenants in common, either party is entitled to go to Court to obtain an Order for Sale.

I hope this helps and answers your questions.

Kind Regards


Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Regarding question two could a buyer move in and have same rights as me. Ie to live there


Yes- they would have become entitled to live in the property.

Kind Regards


Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry about this. If the new buyer of 50% moved into the property what rights of entry do the other owners have

All owners are entitled to reside/enter into the property, so all of them would have a right of entry.

Hope this clarifies matters.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you