How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Tenant renting double room on periodic Shorthold Assured Tenancy

This answer was rated:

Tenant renting double room on periodic Shorthold Assured Tenancy agreement. Tenant wants boyfriend to stay with her.
If I let him stay without any charge and he moves his furniture into the room would that give him any rights.
I currently have exemption from a HMO license as the property is on the market.
Alex Watts : Hello and thanks for the question
Alex Watts : In short no, not unless he is named on the tenancy.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

May I ask for a second opinion on this subject.


The reason I'm being extra cautious is because I posted a legal question on the site and received what transpired to be


an incorrect advice.


I hope you don't mind.

Alex Watts : Indeed.
Alex Watts : unless he is named or they are married, no rights.
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you