How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 35074
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have lived with my partner 15 years. She lived there, I moved

This answer was rated:

I have lived with my partner 15 years. She lived there, I moved in and we operated as a married couple. One year ago my name was put onto the deeds of the house as owning one thir of the property, the idea being , should anything happen to her, two daughters and myself would be owners giving them the right to sell and release their equity. We have now seperatedand she has the house going up for sale. We cleared the mortgage Three years ago. What am I entitled to ?
Thank you for your question
My name is Clare
I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What financial contribution did you make to the property?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I maintained the house, furnishings, updates, repairs and made it possible for the mortgage to be paid off.


Just to check - the property is still held jointly by you and your ex?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


In that case the documents signed last year set out what you should receive - a third of the net sale proceeds.
If your ex wishes to fight this she will have a problem as she clearly knew what she was doing last year!
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and 2 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you,


You are most welcome I hope all goes well