How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 71147
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

Whom can be contacted to seek legal advice on dumping on private

This answer was rated:

Whom can be contacted to seek legal advice on dumping on private land leading to environmental concern of neighbours. What recourse exists against the land owner ?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am a resident of Bryants Bottom in Buckinghamshire and the villagers are fighting an application for retrospective planning for stables erected in the field opposite a row of houses. The land is owned by a former local person who now lives in France and the field is let to/occupied by the owner of 2 horses. He has dumped rubbish in the field including broken pallets, horse manure and is also being used to deposit items used in his double glazing/conservatory business. The site is a complete mess.

We have submitted various appeals to the local council Planning Dept and associated environment department. We are informed that the rubbish is not "fly-tipping" since it has been deposited on private land.

and there is no responsibility of the council to take action. Many photos have been submitted to the local council and it appears that no useful action will be achieved through official channels.

Local authority can use its general planning powers under section 215 on the owner of land or the occupier of the land or buildings if the condition of it adversely affects the amenity of the area, which gives the person responsible to clean up the site or the building or in default, the local authority will do the work itself and claim the costs back from the owner.

If this generally looks a mess therefore asked the local authority service section 215 notice on the owner. If they refuse to do so, you can either apply to court for judicial review of the decision not to do so (it can be expensive and risky) or (risk-free) make a complaint to the Local Government ombudsman.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I must look up a section 215 notice. I have reported fly-tipping to the Bucks CC but they say they can take no action since it is private land and the problem must be referred to Wycombe DC who don't want to know.

Will follow up section 215 and the Ombudsman.

It is s215 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 (as amended).

Here are some notes from just one Council.
Remus2004 and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you