How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wingrovebuyer Your Own Question
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 737
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
wingrovebuyer is online now

, we purchased a house in a small cul de sac of just 7 houses.

This answer was rated:

Hi, we purchased a house in a small cul de sac of just 7 houses. Planning was granted to land to the rear and side of our property. Unfortunately it was decided that our road will lead into the new development, therefore making it less desirable to live in. Are we able to claim compensation from the local planning authority and or the developers? You also seem to have to pay a premium, usually an uplift of approx 20% for a prime location, now this will not apply to our property any longer.
Many thanks and I have my fingers crossed.
Aliya Chowney (Mrs) Hertfordshire
wingrovebuyer : Hello. Not good news I'm afraid. Assuming the road is public highway, I'm afraid there are no legal grounds for seeking compensation in the way you wish. The law does not recognise that you or your property have suffered a loss for which you can be compensated. You will of course think differently, but that is the I'm afraid. Sorry! WB
Customer: That's a great shame. Thanks anyway.
wingrovebuyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you