How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My wife and I have been married , when we marries

This answer was rated:

My wife and I have been married for 31years, when we marries we had two house, so I sold mine and we have lived in hers ever since. The proceeds from my sales have been use to upgrade my wife house and increase our standard of living
On making here will my wife has left the house to her children with no thought of my child,
After all these year and all the finance I have put in our marriage would I not be entitled
to a share in any proceeds, via my will if deceased?
Thank you for your question
My name is Clare
I will do my best to assist you but I need some further information first
Do you mean that your wife has left her property to her children and made no provision for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will be able to live in the property till my death, but then it will be sold and the proceeds pass to her children, I have one child and she will inherit nothing

Have you discussed this with your wife?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes she does not like my daughter and thing she is not entitled. but I would think that after all this time I am entitled to some to the proceeds so as to leave it to who I please! given the chance I would leave any share between my daughter and her children as we are very close and I have been their father for a long time.

In the event that your wife dies before you then you can apply to the court for Order under the Inheritance - Provision for Family and Dependants act - and you would receive at least half of the value of the property - probably more - but if you have dies before your wife then I am afraid that this would not be an option open to your daughter
I am not sure how strongly you feel about this.You may wish to discuss matters with your wife and ask her to agree to the property being transferred into your joint names so that you can each do what you wish with your share. If she will not agree then only you can decide if you wish to end the marriage so that you can receive your half of the equity
Please ask if you need further details
please a
Clare and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you