Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law

If we take over a shop lease from someone doing the same business

If we take over a shop lease from someone doing the same business as us do we have to keep on the staff of the previous owners?

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

If you purchase a business as a going concern, which you will be, you are under a duty to retain all existing staff, and if you were to sack them, they would have a case for unfair dismissal against you.

I hope this assists you and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What if the previous owner closes his business and we re-open the shop as a transfer of our business to the new shop.

If the current owner closes his business and you then take over in the premises and trade under a different name, you would not need to retain any of the staff employed by the current owner.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards