How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I live at the end of a cul de sac and there are 3parking bays

This answer was rated:

I live at the end of a cul de sac and there are 3parking bays and my neighbour has dropped the kerb and is now saying that no one can park in 2of the 3bays one being directly outside my house which we have parked in for twenty years , we have never received any notification they would be doing this . Can we still park in the parking bay outside our house legally
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

For now please let me know who owns the land where the parking bays are?

Customer: The land is owned by the council I presume it is not owned by either homeowner
Alex Watts :

If it is owned by the Council then he can not stop you from parking there

Alex Watts :

He does not own the land, the Council does

Alex Watts :

Only the Council can stop you from parking there

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: Would he of needed planning permission to drop the kerb ? We live in high Wycombe Buckinghamshire .
Alex Watts :

He would need permission from the Council yes.

Customer: Should my neighbour have got planning permission to drop the kerb , they are parking 2cars on the drive and if we park outside our house they can still get off their drive via the middle bay ?
Customer: I have checked on the planning permission site and there is no permission on there where would I be able to check this?
Alex Watts :

Generally it would be the Council that does this service to drop the kerb

Alex Watts :

He generally wouldn't be able to get his own contractor to do it

Alex Watts :

But you do need permission from the Council to drop the kerb - you can't just do it

Customer: He says he did this through the council ? I have tried to check with them but have not been able to get any response, Will I be able to legally continue to park there and should we have been notified of this before the work started?
Alex Watts :

Ok, if it he it through the Council then it is permitted. Normally you are not notified. But in any event if its own by the Council he can not stop you from parking

Alex Watts :

You need to write to your local Councillor and ask them to take up the issue

Alex Watts :

You can also write to the Chief Officer of the Council and make a formal complaint - they will have a duty to investigate it.

Alex Watts :

If that does not resolve it you can go to the Ombudsman. They offer a free and independent service at:

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Customer: No thank you
Alex Watts :

Great. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply

Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you