How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kasare Your Own Question
Kasare, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1301
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Kasare is online now

I am considering selling part of all of my property and need

This answer was rated:

I am considering selling part of all of my property and need to ensure that my neighbour, who has been harassing us for the best part of 20 years in order to 'push us out', cannot buy it. Is there any way we can ensure that he, or his children, do not have access to it?? Thank you
Hi thank you for your question, I will assist you with this.
I appreciate that these neighbours have caused you considerable problems, but if they were interested and offered to pay the asking price, then surely it would be in your best interest to sell it to them and move on.
However, if you are adamant that you don't want to sell it to them, the only way that you can do that is to vet all potential interested parties. It is entirely up to you as to whom you let view your property and whom you accept any offers from. But it is up to you to vet the potential parties - an agent or solicitor would not do this.
I hope this assists. If you have any further questions please dont hesitate to ask.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So, to clarify, there is no legal document that could draw up to 'ask' potential buyers to sign that would ensure they are not 'agents' acting on his behalf?

No, not really.
You could ask your lawyer to draft an agreement which prohibits agents purchasing your property, but, even in the event the person was an agent what would you do? Issue proceedings for misrepresentation? This would be a difficult claim as you would have to convince a court that this misrepresentation caused you a loss - what loss could you show? to what benefit? And indeed, such an agreement could highlight issues with your neighbour to other potential purchasers which could put them off wanting to purchase your property.
As the seller, unless the "agent" buys the property in his name - which generally an agent wouldn't do - then you will be aware of the actual name of the potential purchaser and you could stop the sale without any consequences before exchange of contracts.
Kasare and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you