How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

In the first six months of a short hold tenancy agreement -

This answer was rated:

In the first six months of a short hold tenancy agreement - is the landlord legally able to conduct sales viewings of the property if they did not advise at the outset the property would be immediately put on the market?
Thanks in advance...
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : For now please let me know whether viewings are allowed as per the tenancy agreement ?

There is nothing in the tenancy agreement that relates to it. It is just standard general conditions about responsibilities of landlord/tenant around maintenance, rights of use of the property etc.

Alex Watts : So nothing that allows for viewings?


Alex Watts : In that case the answer is no.
Alex Watts : The terms of the contract are the agreed terms between the parties. If it does not allow a landlord to offer viewings then the landlord can not.
Alex Watts : In effect it would be breach of contrsct.
Alex Watts : Contract.
Alex Watts : the landlord can only act in accordance with the terms of the contract and nothing else as it had not been agreed.
Alex Watts : No terms or agreement means no viewings.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Yes, can I sue the landlord for misrepresentation of the property and the costs of moving, signing into contracts for a year etc for things like phone and internet, admin fees for taking on a new property? Can I request a rent reduction?


Hi, can you respond to my question please...

Alex Watts : Sorry I was in court.
Alex Watts : you can sue for nreach of contract etc yes.
Alex Watts : you can sue for your losses.
Alex Watts : you can't demand a rent reduction, just sue for any losses
Alex Watts : Does that help?

Sorry - wasn't having a go, it's just the thing was saying the question was answered when it wasn't. Okay, great. Thanks very much. Really appreciate your help and service. That's all I need to know. Thanks.

Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you