How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10779
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

The deeds to my house are held by the Building Society.

This answer was rated:

The deeds to my house are held for me by the Building Society. My wife at the time is on the deeds. We were divorced ten years ago and I bought out her share of the property.How do I get her name removed from the deeds?

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Can I ask why the paperwork wasn't dealt with within the divorce? Was a Consent Order, confirming that your ex wife transfer the property to you drawn up at the time of your divorce?

Do you have a Mortgage on the property?

I look forward to hearing from you.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We were seperated for years and then my wife took out divorce proceedings that I did not object to. We had the home valued and I gave her half the value. I do not now have a mortgage. The property is mine and at the time of our divorce we did not think about the deeds.


Thanks for your reply.

Well, you will need your ex wife to sign a Transfer document, transferring the property to you.

You will need her signature to legally change the Deeds, so you will need to contact her.

A local Conveyancing Solicitor will be able to request your Deeds from the B Society and prepare the Transfer. Once signed, the Transfer will need to be registered at the Land Registry, to enable the legal ownership of the property to be transferred into your sole name.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you