How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

If work needs to be done on a property I own and the tenants

This answer was rated:

If work needs to be done on a property I own and the tenants are under a short term tenancy agreement am I liable for alternative accommodation ?
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : What type of work please?
Customer: Hi there New bathroom kitchen floor .. Damp course some new windows
Customer: Hi there
Customer: thanks for coming through
Customer: I think we need new bathroom new kit leech floor damp course and some new windows
Customer: susie
Alex Watts : So it's structural then? How long have your current tenants been there? How long was the fixed term?
Customer: They have been there for 9 years on a two yearly fixed term contract however they owe a serious amount of rent at the moment and so their next contract is for 6 months and then I will review
Customer: We are just about to re new the tenancy
Alex Watts : Ok. What does it say in the tenancy agreement regarding works?
Customer: Just checking .
Customer: It doesn't say anything about this
Alex Watts : Ok then it's bad news. You are responsible for accommodation unless otherwise stated. If there had been clause that said you can carry out work then you can.
Alex Watts : So you would either have to get them to move out, pay for alternative accommodation, do the work and then move them back. Or
Alex Watts : end their agreement by giving notice, do the work so you don't have to pay for accommodation then see if they will come back after
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: Can I put it in the new agreement with them as they really what to renew even though they owe me money ?
Alex Watts : yes you could do it then
Customer: Thank you that's really useful .. Do you know where I can find an agreement template that has the correct wording for this ?
Alex Watts : For that no, you may need a solicitor to draft that.
Alex Watts : this is custom situation really.
Customer: Ok thanks so much have a good Sunday !
Alex Watts : And you. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen
Alex Watts : if you need more help please click reply
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you