How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Holly Your Own Question
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7072
Experience:  BA honours degree in law, over 20 years experience in litigation, contract and property matters
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Michael Holly is online now

- my neighbour is building a raised flower bed against

This answer was rated:

Hello - my neighbour is building a raised flower bed against my garage wall that boundaries with his garden. He is putting right up to the wall. He says he will use damp course against my wall. Can he legally do this? Is there legally a gap he has to leave so I have access to service my wall and drainpipe. I'm concerned about damp getting into the wall. I do not think the wall is a party wall. I can send copy of building plot map, clause in house terms relating to garage walls/boundaries and ownership (so you can confirm if not a party wall)/photographs of the construction. Please confirm you are English and dealing with English law. And what price is this service. Thanks. Robin

Dear Robin

He can put a raised flower bed against the wall but if he causes damp/damage you can claim in respect of the damage caused.

Unfortunately, you have to wait until damage is done before claiming and legally he does not have to leave a gap. Warning him you will claim unless he considers the consequences may cause a re think.

I am an English solicitor who deals with English law.

If there are any further points please reply.

Best wishes


Michael Holly and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you