How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10777
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

Can a neighbour who has planning permission agreed extension

This answer was rated:

Can a neighbour who has planning permission agreed for an extension to a garage that forms a party wall, force me to have scaffolding on my land or have scaffolding that will over hang my land?

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Your neghbour is certainly not entitled to put scaffolding on your land or have it overhanging, without your consent, FULL STOP.

On a side issue, although I am not a Surveyor, I would certainly have thought that as he is building the extension on a party wall, he falls foul of the Party Wall Act 1996. This Act makes it a requirement that whenever a party wishes to build on a party wall or near to it, he must serve Notice on the adjoining owner (yourself), before any work commeces. The adjoining owner then can either consent to the work, or request that his own Surveyor liaises with the building party's Surveyor to agree the schedule of works to be done, and which would also include the erection of any scaffolding.

I hope this assists and answers your question.

Kind Regards


Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dear Al,
Thank you for this. We do not want this extension happening due to the negative impact, and the neighbours have not engaged throughout the process to date. So if we didn't want our surveyor to speak to their surveyor and just don't want this extension to happen, then can you confirm that we can just refuse to engage on any basis and they therefore cannot go ahead?
Thanks in advance


You could indeed refuse access to your property for them to put up any scaffolding.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Hi Nick,

Can I assist you any further?

Kind Regards