How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask tdlawyer Your Own Question
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1096
Experience:  Lawyer with 9 years experience of advising on property issues.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
tdlawyer is online now

, About 15 years ago, with my agreement, my neighbour

This answer was rated:

About 15 years ago, with my agreement, my neighbour replaced the privet hedge separating the rear gardens of our two properties with a concrete block wall approx. 7 ft. high x 50 ft. long.
I don't know whether the wall stands entirely on his property or astride our two properties. But I do know that it stands on the boundary that we've always accepted to be his responsibility, and that he paid for all the materials and building costs.
My question is: Do I have any right to do things to the wall provided its strength and stability is not compromised: e.g. fix a trellis on it for climbing plants, drill small holes in it to support hanging baskets, paint it, etc?
***** *****
Hi John, thanks for your question. My name is***** can answer this for you.
If the wall was built by him, and paid for by him, and is on his side of the boundary, then no, you have no right as such to do anything to the wall.
This is because the wall is his property, built and paid for by him, and standing on his land. You have no right to do anything to interfere with that without his consent. You can, of course, build a wall your side if you wish, and do such things as you mention, because that's then your wall and you can do with that as you wish.
Hope this helps.
tdlawyer and 2 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you