How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 26070
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

Registering a Charge of an overseas company over land it owns

This answer was rated:

Registering a Charge of an overseas company over land it owns in the UK.
I am paralegal.
I have been tasked with registering a charge over land in the UK owned by an overseas company. The charge is dated 25 March 2015.
I understand that this charge does not need to be registered at Companies House.
I further understand that in order to register the charge at the Land Registry I need to
a) complete an AP1,
b) complete a CH1 with standard form wording,
c) supply a certified copy of the charge,
d) supply a copy of the overseas companies' constitution and
e) pay the appropriate fee.
Please could I ask whether this is correct or am I missing something?
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience. May I ask if the company in question has opened any UK branch or establishment or whether it has no UK based establishment but is based solely overseas please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Joshua.

We have spoken a few times before.

I understand from Companies House that the company in question is based solely overseas.

Hi again. I hope things are going well.You are essentially spot on with your understanding. Just be careful with overseas companies as different regimes apply for overseas company charges created before September 2011 which can require registration at Companies House but in fairness they rarely come up as typically those older charges have already been registered.However providing the company has no UK "establishment" e.g. branch or office it does not have to be registered at CH. On the AP1 in panel 10 you need to include the following information:The lender’s full name and address, including its postcode unless the form of charge has already been agreed with HMLR andUnless the company already has an arrangement agreed with HMLR the territory of incorporation, any registered number in the UK including and a copy of the company’s constitutional documentation. If any of those documents are in a foreign language you also need to supply a translation.or provide a certificate by a qualified lawyer practising in the territory of incorporationSo yes I agree everything you say - the only obvious thing missing from your list is the fee but I assume that went without saying. I hope the above is of assistance? If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to click to rate my service to you today or just reply back to let me know if the above is helpful. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you once again Joshua.

Yes things are going very well. Sharpening up all the time!

A pleasure. Glad to hear. Best wishes
Joshua and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you