How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I need to obtain possession of a property with a tenant in

This answer was rated:

I need to obtain possession of a property with a tenant in residence. However, my landlord does not have a tenancy agreement. He let the tenant move in without an agreement in place. What can I do?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
How long has the tenant been there? Are they in arrears or breached their agreement?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The tenant has been in there for about 7 months. She has paid rent albeit late but other than that she has been fine.

OK. Then she has an Assured Shorthold. In that case you need to give 2 months notice which takes effect from the next billing date. This is a section 21 notice and you can find a template online. If the tenant refuses to move you can seek possession then through the Court by completing form N5b
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex,

Is it still ok to serve a Section 21 even though there is no contract?

Yes that is fine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

when it comes to the court papers and they want evidence of the AST - what should I advise?

There is no written agreement. That is not fatal to your claim.
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up on this. Is there anything else I can help with? If so, please let me know.