How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have rented a residential property years. My landlord

This answer was rated:

I have rented a residential property for 10 years. My landlord wished to end his AST contract with the estate agent. However, there is a clause in his contract (signed in 2005 and not renewed since) that states he must pay the agent 15% plus VAT if we remain in the property after the contract expires and we rent privately from the landlord. My landlord has challenged this with the agent. They refuse to let him go and say they will hold him to terms.
It would appear that the agent believes they can hold him to terms in perpetuity. My landlord does not wish to go to court. Is there a way out? A way to break free from this agency without the landlord paying a monthly fee of 15%?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Yes. You could end the agreement, move out for 1 day then move back. Its then a new tenancy agreement with a break. You wont even have to move your stuff out, just get the landlord to pay for a hotel for a night.
Then the agreement ends, you can sign with the Landlord and he can avoid the fees.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and 2 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've paid for a phone discussion

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would like to speak with you directly please

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Would like to speak with you and I believe I have paid for that service. Please call or provide a number and time when I can reach you.Robin

Yes I will call you.

I am just following up on this. Is there anything else I can help with? If so, please let me know.