How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 26070
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

How can I get the housing manager to listen to me I am 80 years

This answer was rated:

How can I get the housing manager to listen to me I am 80 years old need toget out of my flat as I am disabled and can not get up three flights of stairs any more I have
Been in touch with the council but am ignored I would like your advice as to what to do next
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience. May I ask do you live in private accomodation presently or housing association/council accomodation please?What kind of accomodation do you wish to move to - another property on the ground floor in the same complex or elsewhere?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Council tenant need either but with no stairs or room on ground floor my son lives with me he is my carer
thank you very much for the above. I assume you are dealing with the local authority's housing department. The housing Department is likely to be a frustrating experience because their obligations are principally to source accommodation for those individuals they consider to be in need and they prioritise individuals which they consider to be high risk. Prioritisation is typically based upon need assessed on the basis of homelessness, whilst those who already have accommodation, and typically considered to be no priority which is likely why you are making limited progress. You are therefore more likely to have success by contacting the local authority social services department. The social services department at the local authority have a very different set of priorities and statutory duties. Their responsibilities not principally want accommodation but rather is a duty to ensure that individuals are adequately cared and provided for in the community. you have a right to ask for a care assessment to be carried out which is a process whereby a social services officer will visit you at your home and look at the circumstances you presently live in and decide upon what needs you have and how best to provide for those needs. They do this by putting in place something called a care package which can include many different components, such as fitting aids in the home, provisioning of carers and/or food and so on. If they consider your accomodation is unsuitable for you, they will liaise with other departments within the local authority in order to attempt to provide more suitable accommodation. This is limited of course to what accommodation is available and there can be a waiting list for alternative accommodation. As above the local authority have a statutory duty through the social services department to ensure that you are adequately provided and cared for. if you disagree with the decision made by the council following your assessment in the first instance, you can make a complaint to the council and ask for an independent officer to review the decision. If you remain unsatisfied, you can refer your complaint to the local authority ombudsman who will independently review the decision. . There is no charge for their service. the outcome of the care assessment is designed to ensure that you are provided with a minimum decent level of care provision assessed according to your needs and to the above process is likely to have a better outcome than dealing with the housing department directly. I hope the above is of assistance? If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to click to rate my service to you today or just reply back to let me know if the above is helpful. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me I'd be very grateful
Joshua and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you