How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We are renting out a property short-term (one year) to a tenant

This answer was rated:

We are renting out a property short-term (one year) to a tenant in our house. Meanwhile my husband got into intensive care. He is out of intensive care,but still well be in hospital for a long time. Furthermore he would nee a lot of help in the future even when he will be home, Now the rented property is much more suitable for that purporse. It has been just renovated in January. It is clean - airy rooms, lots of sunshine and a little room for helpers. I just wonder Is it possible to regain my property from the tenant before the one year term ends on medical ground? Our present property needs full declaration, it needs damp proving, perhaps even rewiring, plastering etc. We cannot live here while all these goes on and no extra money to rent a place while this would eb done. In addition, it is dark, basement flat, and his lung need need good fresh air, light etc. What is the way to go around this?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this
Do you have a break clause? To confirm it was let for 12 months?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was let for 12 months.

It bad news I am afraid. If it is let for 12 months without a break clause then you can not end it early and seek possession back. That is because you have agreed a 12 months contract and you would be in breach of contract if you took it back earlier.
You can only end it early and then seek possession with a Court order if the tenant is late on rent or has breached the agreement in some way.
I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What about if there is a medical emergency to have that place repossessed?

Sadly that is not enough. The tenant must be in arrears or have breached the tenancy.
I am sorry.
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Cruel world. '(

I am sorry.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.