How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2456
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

I have owned a property years plus and are looking to

Customer Question

I have owned a property for 4 years plus and are looking to put on an extension to create 2 additional flats, making the property 4 tenanted property dwelling. I have been made aware that as I have owned the property for over 4 years and do not intend selling the properties that this fee can be waived, is this correct.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience. Which fee do you refer to please - a planning application fee?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. The planning application has been agreed but a Community infrastructure Levy (CIL) is payable before the building works can commence. The CIL is broken down into 2 figures CIL Liable Mayor and CIL liable Croydon. in total this is about £15000. We have heard from somebody today that if you are the owner of a property for more than 4 years and do not intend to sell after refurbishment that this fee can be waived. We would like to know if this correct.

Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I am not aware of any exemption along the lines you suggest - there is an exemption for self build but not for more than one dwelling as is the case here. However I have limited expertise in respect of CIL as it is a new levy and I have not actually yet come up against one in practice as local authorities have been slow to take up the provisions from the s106 contributions. I will make a point of reading the regulations in detail but I would not want to suggest that the above is necessarily the final position as there may be further exemptions of which I am not aware. I will opt out in case other collegaues have more experties with CIL.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!