How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 823
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

I am currently a tenant in a property with an Assured Shorthold

This answer was rated:

I am currently a tenant in a property with an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement. My contract is from August of last year to August of this year. I informed my landlord that I was no longer able to stay in the property as I could no longer afford to do so but that I was giving him 1 months notice to which he agreed and said that I could move out. He has now informed me he does not intend to return my deposit and that there is nothing I can do about this. I am surprised by this as we had agreed that this would not be the case. I am financially strapped and this is important to me. I do not have a break clause in my agreement but understand that as long as the tenant and landlord agree to terminate the tenancy then I should not lose my deposit. Can you please advise?
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
As long as there was an agreement that you could leave after a month's notice then you are right. The deposit is only to do with damage to the property. Your landlord is under an obligation to put your deposit in a deposit guarantee scheme. Did he do this? If so which one?
LondonlawyerJ and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you